2014-03-18

Where to hide your stash..

Ok I am talking about your yarn stash here. I keep trying to hide it from my husband but he finds it anyways. So I gave up.

Instead of hiding it, I wanted to find a better way to organize it and store it. Cause let's face it, there's nothing worse than stocking up on a pretty new yarn only to find out you already did and have twice as much now! Of course not that it's a bad thing to have lots of yarn to play with, but when you're on a budget, that stings a bit sometimes.





In light of this, it's time to organize. My yarn stash got turned upside down and sideways from this winter's projects and rummaging for just the right colour. Plus of course everything goes haywire when you introduce a new baby to the house. So here are some ideas to help organize and make it easier to see what you've got for your projects.

1- The easiest method (and the method I use) is tupperware bins. I organize them by brand. I have all my Red Heart together, Knit Picks, Sugar 'n Cream, and then the random miscellaneous yarns I've accrued along the way.



2- For your smaller yarn stashes, the over the door shoe organizers work great. The clear plastic lets you see the colours and just how much you have.


A variation on the shoe organizers is the hanging storage for closets. Great for small stashes and also easily hidden away!



3- I dream of having a nice wall hanging like this one to store my yarn. Plus the maniacal organizer in me loves the colours being separated. It just looks so beautiful and is a wonderful way to not only store your yarn but to also make decoration for your craft room. Once I have a craft room I think I'll have to find a way to make this :)


This is a variant on the above using PVC piping instead of wood slats. Still has a beautiful effect!


Another interesting variation. Put up a peg board and mount the yarn on it! The only downside from this for me, is the yarn getting dusty on top. I struggle enough with perpetual dog fur flying around to deal with dusty yarn. But if you live in an area that dust doesn't accumulate the way it does where I live, this would be beautiful.


4- I love the idea of having a piece of furniture devoted to yarn. Sadly it must be sacrificed to be mobile. Another dream. :) But if you have the room, cabinets have loads of room in them and as a bonus you can either show off your yarn with glass doors or keep it tucked away with solid doors.


Different methods work best for different people. I like to be able to not only organize it but also keep it neat and tidy and hopefully dog fur free. How do you organize your yarn?

No comments:

Post a Comment