2014-03-03

A sneak peek and its fun stitch

A friend of mine is having her first baby today. So my fingers have been busy busy making things for her new little one, much the same way I made lots of stuff for mine.

The piece I'm finishing up is a burp cloth. I don't know about anyone else, but my son can spit up and go for distance. That burp cloth is never far from him to clean up his little messes as quickly as possible. There are lots of different stitches you can use to make a cloth but I find the tighter the stitch, the better it'll keep the mess from your shirt before you head out to work! 


I kept this in mind when trying to figure out what stitch I wanted to use to make this. As a random find, I decided on the herringbone stitch. It's an easy stitch to do once you get the hang of it. Even in its ease, it keeps some interest in the material without being cumbersome to work up. If you can do a double crochet, you can easily do this stitch.

Here's a little peek at the burp cloth I'm working on. It has a bit of growing to do before it'll help catch those messes!


To start this stitch up, you first yarn over like you would when starting a double crochet.


Next, insert the hook in the next stitch, yarn over, and pull through. Now here's the difference from a regular double crochet. After you pull the loop through don't stop quit yet. Pull that loop that you brought over through the first loop on your hook. So it will look like this:


Yarn over again and pull through the first loop on your hook again.


Now you just finish up like you would a regular double crochet. Yarn over and pull through the last two loops on your hook. 



And you have a completed herringbone stitch. You'll notice that it leans a bit to the left when you complete the stitch. That's how it's supposed to look. When you crochet back and forth across your piece the lean will rotate giving your material it's texture. 

I hope you will remember this neat stitch on your next project. If you have any questions about this stitch please feel free to ask away! I'm always happy to help :)


No comments:

Post a Comment