2014-03-16

Best thing for a cold day

I love finding new soups and stews and chowders. They make you feel warm and fuzzy and happy no matter what. So when I can combine it with fish, I'm on board all the way. Three words: cod corn chowder.

Cod is one of my favourite kinds of fish. It's just so beautifully versatile. You can fry it, bake it, dump it in a stew and it holds up every time. I like that in my fish. It gives me options to my culinary creativity. So here's my take on a cod corn chowder.




Cod Corn Chowder

2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb red potatoes
1 medium leek, halved and thinly sliced
3 stalks celery, diced small
2 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp dried thyme
3/4 tsp salt
1/2-3/4 tsp black pepper
2 cups clam juice (chicken broth can be substituted)
1 cup water
1 cup half and half
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp corn starch
1 can white corn
1-1 1/2 lbs cod, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 tbsp dried parsley

1- Using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, grind and combine fennel seeds, thyme, salt, and pepper.

2- Heat oil in a large stew pot. Add potatoes, leeks, celery, and spice mix. cook for about 8 minutes or until vegetables are slightly softened, stirring occasionally.



3- Mix corn starch and 1/4 cup water until fully dissolved and combined.

4- Stir in clam juice, water, corn and corn starch solution. bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat.



5- Heat oil in a medium pan and add cod and parsley. Cook until cod is firm and opaque, stirring occasionally. Do not drain.


6- Add cod and juices to the stew pot and mix thoroughly. Serve while hot and enjoy!


Nothing better than this on a cold blustery day in a winter that seems like it will never end.

No comments:

Post a Comment